Friday, October 8, 2010

BYOC

1. If you wrote a biography on your life, what would the title be?

How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria...
Seriously, I think this was my mother's anthem when I was growing up. It's not that I was a bad kid or got into trouble all the time, I was just a little misunderstood. I was a crazy, waffling, dreaming Gemini making my straight and narrow Capricorn mother wonder what the hell was going through my head most of the time.

2. Would you take $1 million dollars to leave your present life – including friends and family – to start over somewhere else? You’re leaving your physical location to never go back but you can contact them via phone and net and such. (you take your immediate family with you..spouse, kids, etc.)


In a heartbeat. I've always had a yearning to get outta Dodge, and I never really had the opportunity. Or when I did, events conspired against me, and it didn't happen. Plus, Michigan winters suck balls when you're not into skiing or whatnot.

3. Are you a person everyone trusts or do you have trouble trusting everyone or both?

People trust me. I'm known to be a good secret keeper, and I've been told on several occasions that I "never say anything bad about anyone" (who? me?) so people know that I won't repeat any gossip they tell me. I'm not saying I never gossip. It's just that I know when to keep my trap shut.

4. Looking back, if I asked you what one event changed the course of your life – and you had to answer immediately the first thing that popped into your head…what would it be?



Getting laid-off at 25. I had been on a pretty good career path, and when my company was sold and then practically liquidated, I went down with the ship. I didn't know what to do with myself, and for some god forsaken reason, I decided to get a Masters in Exercise Science (which I never finished). That got me into the medical field at least, and here I am.


At 25, I had been on my own for a few years already and had already bought my own house. I was very self-sufficient. Getting laid off without any good jobs looming in the near future meant selling my house, moving in with my Grandma (not the worst thing), and working at Starbucks for two years until I was done with classes. I went through some very dark times then, and I still find the whole experience has majorly fucked with my self esteem and feelings of self-worth.

5. Repeat question: Summarize your week in life and in blogland.


I'm in a funk right now, and it's mostly work and weight related. I'll write more on that later.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

I love that song, Maria!

Sorry to hear you're in a funk. Hang in there, this too will pass.

DiZneDiVa said...

So funny... I was named after Maria in the Sound of Music... It was my Mom's favorite movie. *Maria*-Blogger from "This one time at BAND Camp..."

♥ Drazil ♥ said...

Oh my gosh - love #1...now I can't get that song out of my head. Sorry you're not feeling great....I hope blogging about it can help.