Sunday, April 3, 2011

Bad grocery trip and hip stuff

All this past week hubs an I have been talking about getting back on the horse with meal planning and cooking and all that. We have really slacked on that the last two weeks, and it shows. I no like it, as the tater tot would say. I want my breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks all reasonably planned  -- just like I did those first few weeks of the elimination diet.

So what happens? Hubs goes grocery shopping this morning, and comes home with processed food GALORE. Lipton noodle packages, frozen meals, fruit cups. OMG. It was all I could do to keep a straight face. And then I had a little binge of Voortman's Sugar Wafers, which also arrived home in this shipment. I seriously could just scream. Instead, I will try to focus my energy on planning for myself, and trying to create the best dinners out of what we have on hand. Our organic produce shipment doesn't come till Thursday, so I'm going to have to sneak into the store tonight or tomorrow to get some real food to eat.The only fresh stuff we have on hand is one mango, one apple, and some lettuce (and I don't do salads much these days).

There is a woman at work who I've become "lunch friends" with. She is a Weight Watchers lifetimer, and this is what she eats for lunch every day: big bowl of cottage cheese with fresh cut tomatoes and onion and dry italian dressing mix, assorted other raw veggies, and the occasional grilled chicken. Now, the cottage cheese mixture totally grosses me out, but I am trying to take a page from her book on raw veggies. I can't eat anywhere near the volume she does, but I've been packing up my cooler Monday and it lasts me a few days. Cucumbers with a little red wine vinegar, kohlrabi (hello, yum!), red and yellow peppers, etc. My challenge continues to be the protein. I don't want to resort to cold cuts, because of the salt. Maybe I just need to suck it up and buy a rotisserie chicken every Monday and eat that the rest of the week for lunches.

Enough food rambling...

Have I mentioned my hip lately? You know, the one that stiffens up on me after sitting for a half hour? The one that pops when I walk? The one that is so f'd up that my knee rolls in when I'm trying to climb stairs? Yes, it's gotten that bad. I even stopped doing my squats last week because I was in damn near constant pain. Well, I finally decided to do something about it, and that something is the chiropractor. Oh how I love chiropractic! I've been off and on with them since high school -- my lower back used to do this weird thing where it would just buckle and give out, and regular adjustments helped it alot. I had a feeling my hip issues were mechanical, so I thought this was a good place to start. I got a good rec from a coworker, and I got in Friday afternoon. He took some x-rays and holy cow, my hips really are all farfed up! My whole pelvis looks rotated, and all because of a few lumbar vertebrae out of whack. There a few cervical vertebrae that need some help too.

He did a quick adjustment, and it felt so good. Is it strange that I like it so much? Anyway, Saturday, I was feeling a bit of a pull in one side of my back. I took it easy and tried not to aggravate it. My hip felt about the same. Today? Hip is noticeably better. There's a ways to go yet, but I wasn't hurting just sitting there, which is a huge improvement. I go for another adjustment Monday after work.

One other interesting little tidbit... he noticed how my hair is thinning on top and suggested I do a liver cleanse by drinking 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar diluted in water twice a day. That's all? Done. I ran into GNC on the way home and picked up some Braggs Organic ACV. Even if my hair situation doesn't improve, I'm sure my liver will thank me.

On that note, I will call it a night.

2 comments:

Theresa said...

I love the Chiropractor too!

MandaPanda said...

I've heard the apple cider vinegar is good for bladdder and urinary tract infections too. No personal experience though. Glad the hip is starting to improve.